Stone is all around us. Stone is usually very hard, 1 it can also be soft. Stones have many uses.
In some 2 artists carve (雕刻) beautiful things out of soft stones, because they can be shaped easily. In ancient times, people carved 3 persons or animals out of soft stones, which could be carried along with. While in some European countries, statues (雕塑) are carved 4 hard stones and they do not change easily. In summer, the hot sun 5 on these statues and in winter the snow falls on them, but they 6 remain beautiful.
Stone is strong and long-lasting. So, it is 7 enough for buildings. A house built of stone does not catch fire as easily as 8 made of wood. Some stones are coloured, so they make the 9 look wonderful. People can also get a fire with stones. Besides, some kinds of stones can be used to 10 jewellery (珠宝). We’ve found stones are really amazing.
1. A. and B. but C. or D. so
2. A. countries B. cities C. factories D. parks
3. A. young B. old C. small D. big
4. A. into B. of C. for D. from
5. A. shines B. drops C. puts D. fits
6. A. even B. still C. never D. often
7. A. good B. big C. long D. old
8. A. this B. none C. one D. it
9. A. stones B. buildings C. fire D. wood
10. A. find B. sell C. buy D. make
2、A 由第二段第三句“While in some European countries”可得出答案。
3、C 由“which could be carried along with”可知是个小物品。
4、D be carved from hard stones 是被动语态，固定搭配。
5、A 考查词的不同含义：shine “照耀”，drop“掉落”，put on“穿上”，fit“合适”。句子中的主语是the hot sun，所以用shines。
7、A 用排除法可得出答案。前句 Stone is strong and long-lasting说的是石头的质量好。
8、C 用one代替a house。
10、D 根据上下文意思可得出答案。make jewellery 制造珠宝。